As you may already know, a number of tech sites (Guru3D, Anandtech, ComputerBase) released a bunch of tests results for the 12.11 Beta that show good improvements across the board. But there’s a small catch, all these gains will be seen only with GCN GPUs aka HD7000 Series. So if you’re a HD7000 Graphics Card owner, you’re in luck. The drop of monthly WHQLs has finally payed out.
HD5000 and HD6000 Series Graphics Cards owners should not despair. I don’t know if there’s any truth behind this but rumor has it (don’t quote me on this) that AMD isn’t doing so well, financially speaking. Their Q3 sales/profits numbers have dramatically dropped. Is a good driver able to save them? I don’t know but it’s a big step in the right direction. More incentives for green users to jump boats.
On another matter, I’ve been thinking of including Windows 8 (alongside Windows 7) in these benchmarks. Most of you want that so I’ll comply. I still have a few issues with Win 8 that need to be resolved before doing it but it’s definitely on the “must do” list.
Prior to installing a driver, a sweep was done in safe-mode using Treexy Driver Fusion.
|Catalyst Version||2D Driver||3D Driver||OpenGL Driver||Driver Packaging Version||CCC Version||CCC|
|12.9 Beta 9.001||8.01.01.1266||9.14.10.0926||18.104.22.16826||9.001-120913a-146933E-ATI||2012.0913.1837.31603||12.9|
|12.11 Beta 3||8.01.01.1278||9.14.10.0942||22.214.171.12479||9.01.8-121021a-147510E-ATI||2012.1021.1547.26491||12.11|
All tests were ran 3 times.
- Arma II: Operation Arrowhead – v1.62 – Very High Settings @ 1920×1080 – Benchmark Scenario 01
- Batman Arkham City – v1 – Extreme Settings @ 1920×1080 – FXAA (Medium) – DirectX 11 Normal Tessellation – Cobblepot Intro and Thugs Fight
- Battlefield 3 – Ultra Settings @ 1920×1080 – 4xMSAA – Multiplayer on Strike at Karkand (32p map, Large Conquest), US Deployment -> B Flag
- DiRT Showdown – Ultra Settings @ 1920×1080 – 8xMSAA – Benchmark Mode
- Mass Effect 3 – Highest Settings @ 1920×1080 – Mars Archives Cinematic
- Max Payne 3 – 126.96.36.199 – Highest Settings – DX10.1 & DX 11 (High Shadows;2xMSAA) – Chapter X Intro
- Sleeping Dogs – v1.5 – Extreme Settings @ 1920×1080 – Benchmark Mode
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – v1.7.7 – Ultra Preset – 1920×1080 – 8xAA – 16xAF – Tested in the area East of Rorikstead
- Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty – v1.5.2 – Highest Settings @ 1920×1080 – 4vs4 Replay with pre-caching, 8x speed
- The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition – v3.2 – Ultra Settings (Ubersampling Off) @ 1920×1080
|Test Hardware | AMD Catalyst 12.10 WHQL & 12.11 Beta 3 Benchmark|
Intel Core i5-2500K (Sandy Bridge)
4.5 GHz, 6 MB L3 Cache, power-saving settings disabled, Turbo Boost disabled.
|Motherboard||MSI P67-C43-B3, Intel P67 Chipset|
|Memory||2 x 2 GB DDR3 1600MHZ|
WD 500 GB SATA III (OS)
Samsung 750 GB Sata II (Game)
|Graphics Card||Sapphire HD6950 1 GB|
|Power Supply||Corsair TX 650 W|
|System Software And Drivers|
|Operating System||Windows 7 SP1 x64|
Table of Contents: